Stains should be cleaned immediately. But if you have forgotten or have not had the means to clean it, then you will have to do it later. Many homeowners ignore cleaning the stains which turns old and stubborn by passing time. You may find it difficult to remove old stains from the upholstery. Below are the best ways:
- Vacuum clean the fabric and then apply a spot removal agent – A vacuum cleaner can work wonders on fabrics with dirt and grime. If your upholstery fabric is stained as well as dirty, then you should definitely get rid of the dirt first. This will allow you to treat the stains properly with a stain removal agent. If there are layers of grime and dirt accumulating on top of stains, then stain removal agents will not be able to clean it completely.
- Use steamer on your upholstery fabric – Fabrics, especially stained ones should never be completely soaked in water. The stains become permanent when the upholstery fabric is saturated with water and can be very difficult to get rid of. However, steam is a good option. With a very little quantity of moisture, steam can remove the stain from upholstery, without damaging the fabric.
- Dishwasher liquid or soap – Upholstery is always marked with a label that determines how to clean spots on it. “W” is for spot cleaning using only an upholstery shampoo which is water-based or any foam upholstery cleaner. “WS” on the other hand stands for spot cleaning with upholstery shampoo, foam or mild detergent liquid, or a dry cleaning agent. Dip a horsehair upholstery brush in the cleaning agent and gently rub the areas before wiping down with a clean cloth.
- Use a mixture of baking soda and peroxide – A paste made of baking soda and peroxide is especially for blood stains or wine stains. These, when left for a long time can be difficult to get rid of with just vacuuming or steaming. Mix equal amounts of baking soda and peroxide and gently apply the paste on the stains. Let it sit for some time and then wipe the area with a clean cloth.
- Use alcohol on the stains – Very old stains or ink stains can be removed using ethanol or any pharmacy grade alcohol. Apply alcohol on the stains and then blot with a paper towel or a clean cloth. Using alcohol on fabrics that cannot be cleaned with water-based products is a good way to remove tough stains.
- Apply a mixture of baking soda and corn-starch – For oil stains or grease spots, you can apply a paste made of baking soda and corn-starch. Let the paste stay for 15 minutes before scraping it off and then wipe the area with a cloth. You can also use a dry cleaning solvent after this to further clean the spot.
- Use a mix of vinegar and dishwashing liquid – This method of stain removal is for the couch that can be treated with water or water-based products. Rub a solution of vinegar and dishwashing liquid and rinse with water.
Hire The Professional Upholstery Cleaning Service
Squeaky Clean Sofa offers a wide range of services for upholstery cleaning Brisbane. We have the best team of cleaners who are well trained and experienced to perform upholstery stain removal and upholstery cleaning jobs. So call us today to hire us!!